- Posted by Admin
- On September 18, 2020
Are you aware of all the different ways carbon monoxide can infiltrate your home? Usually what comes to mind is your gas furnace or car exhaust, but there’s many other items that produce CO that you may not usually think about.
Gas Dryers – Boilers – Gas Ovens and Stoves – Barbecue Grills – Fireplaces – Water Heaters – Gas Tools and Lawn Equipment
Many homeowners with attached garages have their HVAC equipment in the garage. If your HVAC system isn’t properly sealed, your HVAC system can pull in the dangerous carbon monoxide fumes produced by your vehicle, gas powered tools, and barbecue grill. Your system will then distribute the carbon monoxide throughout your home even with the garage door opened.
If you don’t have proper venting for gas powered appliances within your home, harmful CO gases can easily escape and cause exposure and poisoning. Inspect your flue vents on your equipment regularly and look for signs of rust or holes which is a sign of improper venting and carbon monoxide leakage.
Some common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea. If multiple members of your household, pets included, are exhibiting these signs, move to fresh air immediately and call emergency services.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is very real and very dangerous. You should have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home on every level and you should be testing them at least twice a year to make sure they are functioning properly and the batteries have a good charge. We at De Hart Plumbing Heating & Cooling care about the health and wellness of your household, so we carry CO detectors in every van for your safety. If you have any concerns about CO levels in your home or think you may have a leak, give us a call at 785-341-4193 and let our technicians take care of you!
De Hart Plumbing Heating and Cooling, serving Manhattan Kansas, Junction City Kansas, Wamego Kansas, Topeka Kansas, and some surrounding areas